Wednesday 5 August 2015

Nationality and the Job Candidate

Majulah! It's National Day, Singapore's birthday, in less than a week. The perfect day to talk about nationality.

Majulah Singapura!
Back in the day when I was a bit (OK, maybe not just a bit) of a drinker, I happened to strike up a conversation with this American chap - nice bloke, can't remember his name - in some seedy bar.

Him: No offence bro, but your women - well, some of them anyway - are absolutely fucked up.

Me: Really, why's that?

Him: I come out here to see if I can get some action. Yeah sure, they talk to me and shit, but once they find out I'm from the USA, they just flat-out throw themselves at me. Doesn't matter if I'm having a bad hair day, or I haven't showered... I'm from the great US of A, that's all that matters to them.

Me: That sucks!

Him: Tell me about it! I'm not bad-looking you know. Got an education, decent career, honest living... but all they care about is my damn passport! What's up with that?


Part of me felt that it was probably my patriotic duty to inform him that he was mistaken about our Singapore girls, but I just couldn't do it. You see, I felt him right there. I, too, have had the unenviable experience of being treated like my passport says everything. I'm not here to analyze why Caucasians are popular among local women, or pass judgement on the Sarong Party Girl. This is a tech blog, and that's way out of scope. I empathized because this had totally happened to me before. But in a professional context.

I've mentioned before here how much I really don't like to be considered for a job on the sole basis of my nationality. And this subject is close enough to my heart that it deserves an entire blogpost on its own. 

As a local Chinese in Singapore, this status comes with a few perks - employers don't have to worry about foreign worker headcount; I understand the local culture better than, say, a Burmese who's been working in Singapore all of two years; and I communicate way better with the local representatives of other companies.

Sounds like a good thing. What's the issue exactly?

The issue here is that I spent a devilishly long time building my skillset, accumulating the relevant experience and acquiring the know-how of a web developer. I've worked inhumanly long hours for pay an intern would sniff at, put up with douchebag bosses and even worse clients, and struggled with ever-changing technology.

Don't get me wrong. I love what I do. No regrets. But none of it came easily. It was the result of constant practice, eating copious amounts of humble pie, much sacrifice (thankfully no human sacrifices though!), tons of work-related stress and sheer determination. Blood, sweat, tears, the whole shebang.

And after taking all that shit, to be told "your skillset is nice, but what really attracts us is the fact that you're Singaporean" is like a huge smack in the face.

Pow!

Let's get this clear - I absolutely despise being hired for my passport. And I deeply resent it when someone tells me "you got the job because you're Singaporean". Because I'm fucking Singaporean? Know who else is Singaporean? My mother. How about hiring her instead, jackass?

"You got the job because you're good."
"You got the job because you impressed the most."
"You got the job because you can do it, and you'll cost us a lot less than the others."

That's what I want to hear.

A lot of hard work went into the web professional I am today. But no work on my part was involved in becoming a Singaporean. My parents copulated on this sunny island and your Teochewness arrived nine months later. That's all there is to it. That's all there ever will be to it. An accident of birth, nothing more.

In a nutshell

You want a web developer with certain skills and a certain amount of experience, and the right attitude? I may or may not be your man. But do not give me that "Singaporeans-first" drivel. I'm a professional, and my professional ego objects. Strenuously.

Maybe I'm being arrogant. I'm willing to concede that ten years from now, when my eyesight is failing, my youthful vigor is gone and I no longer have the capability or the will to fight for my place, I may very well say "to hell with my pride, I'll use whatever crutch I can find.". But till then...

Happy National(ity) Day!
T___T

No comments:

Post a Comment