Thursday 14 January 2016

2011 - Three Jobs In a Year (Part 1/3)

A new year has arrived, and this inevitably brings memories of the harrowing year that was 2011. This was one of the toughest years I've ever had to endure. This was the year I worked for three different companies in the space of one year. It was a time of great uncertainty, though no less than what I'd had to go through before. I've not encountered any situation quite as tough since.

At the beginning of the year, I was still happily working for the boss of a tiny web development company. The hours were long. The girlfriend had left, which gave me even greater freedom to pull 12-hour days, and even come in on weekends and public holidays. I was a man obsessed with my work. But strangely, I was happy.

Let me explain something about my boss. He and I had what I considered a good working relationship. Sometimes we would argue over the best way to accomplish certain tasks - but always with the understanding that after making my case, I would defer to his final decision. He would take the trouble to explain to me why he made certain decisions. He understood that I argued not out of any desire to challenge his authority, but because I cared. Through the process, I learned a lot.

My boss appreciated me as well. I wasn't the most skilled programmer in the world, or the most experienced. But my enthusiasm pleased him. I was committed. Sure, I didn't always arrive early in the office, but I'd be there long after everyone had gone. Whatever tasks he sent me out on - web projects, client meetings, door-to-door sales - I carried out with the same energy and initiative. I was also an employee who didn't ask for much; though after what happened at the last workplace, I was extremely particular about getting paid on time.

Mooooving on to greener pastures.

So yes - I was happy. But not complacent. It didn't stop me from looking around for greener pastures. I had given myself one year - maybe two - to learn from this job and move on. This, in part, explained why I worked so damn hard - because I had limited my time at this company from the very beginning, and wanted to make the most of it.

The first few interviews went well. And then I landed what I thought was a sweet deal - the post of a web development executive in a 4-man operation. It was a work-from-home gig as there was no office space. I would get a minor pay rise upon joining, and a substantial one after passing the probationary period. The boss of the outfit was even willing to fork out half the expense of a new laptop for my use. Incidentally, it's the very same one I'm using to type this blogpost. Yes, it's lasted this long!

My old workhorse.
Tough, like its owner.

My soon-to-be ex-boss took the news like a gentleman. He threw me a farewell lunch and my colleagues pooled their resources for a parting gift. I sensed he was really sorry to see me go.

Nice classy pen. Rarely used.

Everything was looking up. But that was the calm before the proverbial storm.

Next

The hardest six months of 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment