Tuesday 9 October 2018

Teochew Thunder: Year Four (Part 2/2)

2018 certainly wasn't an underperforming year. While I never achieved the same popularity with the heights of 2017, there were still some unexpected successes. Also, the average number of views per blogpost went up. Unlike previous years, there aren't any posts with a dismal total of 10 to 20 views. I'm not sure if the numbers are to be believed, but I'll take what I can get!

Web Tutorials

With me picking up Ruby and experimenting with Ruby On Rails, there have been less web tutorials that can simply be run without a server. On one hand, this is a good thing; breadth in knowledge is enormously helpful to a developer. On the other hand, I might want to veer back to my HTML/CSS/JavaScript roots once in a while. Because it's huge fun.

Still, this year alone, there have been HTML/CSS/JavaScript, Ruby, Ruby On Rails, QBasic, PHP and AngularJS web tutorials. Not gonna lie there; I'm pretty proud of that diversity.

Reviews

As with the previous blogging year, there have been more reviews this blogging year. I see this trend continuing over the next few years - there's a ton of stuff I want to review but haven't quite had the chance.

There was also an introduction to a new kind of review - The Reference Review. Considering the sheer amount of hours I spent studying in between (and during) jobs, it's inevitable that I would review some of the books, websites and study materials that had helped me over the last few years.


Sometimes, viewership
feels like that...

Popular Posts

As mentioned earlier, there weren't many wildly popular posts even though the viewership went up across the board. Only two posts really stand out.

The first is Ten Principles of Adult Learning Applied to Software Development, a listicle I wrote while studying for my Advanced Certification in Training and Assessment (ACTA). It was produced as a kind of value-add to an existing assignment I had... and whoa, I was not prepared for how many views this one got.

The second was Online Lynch Mob Activated!, something I wrote in response to a huge Internet uproar in Singapore. Local the news might be, but the phenomenon certainly isn't. Somehow I suspect this post is popular only because I (kinda) dissed the Government there...

Honorable Mentions

Web Tutorial: Multilingual CNY Website - this was my first Ruby On Rails web tutorial, and honestly I'm surprised it got the views it did considering not that many people are into them generally.

Film Review: Silicon Valley Season 2 - another surprise there. Though admittedly, Film Reviews are a hit-or-miss thing and could go either way.

No bonus? No problemo - one of my trademark rants against the folly of traditional thinking in the workplace. It's 2018, people. Move the hell on!

How I Became A Software Engineer - the story of how I survived a retrenchment three years ago and levelled up in the process. Again, my War Stories are sometimes well-received and sometimes not.

That's all for now. See you soon!

I've got a few weeks left to enjoy of this break, and I promise to be back with more of the same. Meanwhile, stay healthy, don't sweat the small stuff and keep reading!

Blog and roll, baby!
T___T

No comments:

Post a Comment