Tuesday 2 November 2021

Writing Software and Fiction

Lately, I have been pondering differences between writing - specifically, between writing software and writing fiction. And the conclusions I came to were interesting. But before I continue, allow me to provide some context.

Background

Earlier this year, on the Clubhouse app, I had the pleasure of attending reading rooms where the Moderator would read aloud some fiction written by author Nathalie Taghaboni. It was a trilogy set in Trinidad and Tabago, The Savanoy Series.

The Savanoy Series.

After each session, speakers on stage would discuss what they had just listened to. Sometimes the author herself would be present. On one such occasion, one speaker was opining as to what changes he would make to the story, and I cheekily suggested a fan-fiction site where he could do just that. Ms Taghaboni was flabbergasted upon discovering the concept of fan-fiction, and seemed highly disturbed. I think she even described it as "disrespectful".

I had a hard time wrapping my head around why she would think so. Wasn't it good that fans of an author's work were so enamored of it that they would expend time and effort on expanding that universe?

But after a bit of rumination, I realized exactly where the problem was. You see, as a software developer, I have a bit of a blind spot.

The difference

Writing software is not the same as writing fiction. It's still writing; it's still an act of creation, but there are fundamental differences.

Software is rarely written by one person alone. It is a collaborative effort by a team. As time passes, new members may join the team and the original members may leave. The software continues to be modified, expanded and corrected. As requirements evolve, so too, does software.

Software is a
team effort.

Software that fails to evolve, dies. There's almost no such thing as a current piece of software that has survived from its point of creation ten years ago till today, without change. More importantly, no one person can lay claim to sole authorship of the software. It is made out of contributions from multiple people... much like fan-fiction.

This is not the case with fiction. When creating a work of fiction, once the author is done with the story, he or she is done. Nothing further should be done with the story unless the owner of the work decides otherwise.

What a faux pas!

While I did not invent the concept of fan-fiction or perpetuate it, I probably owe Ms Taghaboni an apology for my insensitivity. I did enjoy her fiction, and it was my mistake to think of that act of creativity as akin to writing software.

Do the write thing,
T___T

No comments:

Post a Comment