Sunday 2 January 2022

A dish best served cold?

Former employers may rank among some of the most disliked people on the planet, especially for those of us who have ever left a job due to a toxic work environment, or have been dismissed unfairly. For some of us, it feels like there is should be a special place in hell reserved for nightmarish ex-bosses.

As such, I am dedicating today's blogpost to a popular activity: revenge. Some of us may practice this only in our fantasies, and some might have even dedicated some time to actually materialize this.

Getting even is sweet

Let's face it: most of us, at some point or other in our lives, are capable of vindictiveness. After all, unpleasant bosses made our lives miserable. We spent time and effort trying to do the job, and what we got in return were unrealistic expectations, financial exploitation or bullying - or all of the above. It's only human to want some payback once the work relationship has ended.

Want your
pound of flesh?

However, there's a problem - it's generally considered unprofessional to actually actively take revenge.

No prospective employer, whether he or she is an asshole or not, is going to feel comfortable employing somebody who will openly and willingly trash his former employers. And your professional reputation does count in such cases. So, if your former employer is really such an utter rear end, is it worth affecting your own professional reputation to take him or her down a notch?

Well, here's the good news: you don't have to.

The best revenge

I've had my fair share of unpleasant bosses. Some of them were just demanding. Some of them were huge wankers.

In 2010, my then-boss disappeared after I worked for him for ten months, for free. Years later, I am drawing more than twice what he used to pay me.

In 2013, I had a boss who tried his best to make my life untenable while not-so-subtly promoting a replacement he hired. His wish came through; I quit. I'm sure his candidate tried her best, but it was a sinking ship. To be fair, it was a sinking ship long before I ever left. Last I heard, that unpleasant boss is having legal troubles (due to not paying his staff or some shit) and his good name is in shambles. And I am drawing more than twice what he used to pay me.

In 2015, I ran into a boss who unilaterally cut our pay citing the economy as an excuse. The company collapsed and he had to let us go. Years later, he's encountered one failure after another trying to set up a profitable business, and yes, I'm drawing more than twice what he used to pay me.

In 2020, I encountered one of the biggest jackasses to ever walk God's green earth. He got rid of me, and two weeks later I landed a job at a far larger company, with a raise. He's still running his shitty startup and trying to convince himself he's relevant.

Each of them amounted
to this, nothing more.

In all of these cases, I did not have to lift a finger. I simply outgrew all of them. They were good as stepping stones, and I used my experience with them to move upwards. At the risk of sounding cocky, they can no longer afford me. I don't have to be bitter, or seek to destroy their reputations. It isn't worth the effort it would take from me. They're still struggling entrepreneurs, while I'm a far more highly-paid employee than when I used to slave for them.

Those who made my life difficult back then are already being punished in the worst way possible - they have to be themselves. I don't have to do shit. They're no longer worthy of my time and attention.

You know what's even sweeter than revenge? Being above such things. You can be obsessed with hurting them the way you felt that they hurt you... or you can work on yourself and leave them in the dust. After all, what's one more bad boss in a long line of bad bosses? Making the effort to exact payback makes them seem special. They're really not. Terrible bosses are a dime a dozen.

Conclusion

Revenge is overrated. Revenge is for children. I have no hard feelings towards any of these guys. At the end of the day, it's just business.

Revenge is a dish best served when you no longer give a shit. Best for you, anyway.

Revengers, assemble!
T___T

No comments:

Post a Comment