Thursday 14 March 2024

That strange feeling that comes with achieving that prize

It's an odd sensation. Early this year, I received another salary increment, which put my pay bracket - and subsequently, my total monthly income - at three times what it had been back in 2012. And it is strange because back then, I was a struggling web developer who was regularly pulling twelve-hour workdays dreaming of one day making a certain amount of money every month. And what was that lofty goal, one might ask? Why, that amount I was aspiring to, is less than half what I make now. Significantly less.

In other words, I'm making more than I ever wanted to.

Was it inflation? No. I did the math. Even with inflation, I'm still making substantially more.

Sure, I make a lot less than many people who are younger than me. But given the fact that I spend like I'm still on that miserable monthly wage twelve years ago, I can feel a hell of a lot more secure than the average millennial.

How?

Spending within your means is merely one way of saving money. Any financial advisor worth their salt will be the first to tell you that saving money isn't the way to increasing your income. It's just a way to minimize your chances of becoming desperately poor. Of ensuring that you always have something in reserve. But it will not make you rich.

It's not working hard and education, either. Sure, I did both. But neither of them, on their own, or even in tandem, got me money. No, it was keeping one eye open for the next opportunity and ruthlessly moving on for a significant pay bump. I always (well, mostly) enjoyed my work, but made sure never to get too comfortable. My first disastrous six-year stint as a desktop support guy taught me that much.

And that brings us back to the issue of always having something in reserve. Living a very financially sustainable lifestyle is what gave me the freedom to just move on whenever I felt like it. No waiting for bonuses or bullshit like that. No, when the TeochewThunder Train moves, it moves.

The train moves on.

Living like you're on your last dollar isn't a lot of fun. Let me tell you what is even less fun - actually being on your last dollar. Living from paycheck to paycheck. Relying on the goodwill of friends and relatives. Taking handouts from the Singapore Government. Relinquishing your last shred of dignity to survive another month. Thankfully I've never had to go that far, partly because I never allowed myself to.

I lived as though I was on my last dollar for years out of necessity, then I started living like this so that I would never again need to live like this.

I mean, what is money really for? Overseas vacations, fancy restaurants, the trappings of the high life? Rubbish. Those are irrelevant. What money ultimately really gets you is freedom. Freedom to do whatever you want, on your own time. I want money so that I don't need to worry about not having any.

That's all it is. That's all it ever was.

And now...

I work a lot less. Partly because with experience, I can recognize lost causes and dial back accordingly. I can get more done with less effort.

And partly because at this point, I have very little left to prove. I'm 47. In ten years, I'm either dead, retired, or well on my way there. If not sooner. I have no kids, or even pets. Being recognized as a valuable member of the company does nothing for me psychologically or emotionally. I lived, I will die, and in my time here I did nothing that would shake the world, or echo through the centuries to come. I am no better than the average schmuck, and I'm perfectly OK with that.

I lived, and I will die.

And also because I've built up a respectable nest egg... and unless I lose it all through a random act of stupidity, I'm good. Thus, I'm not afraid of losing my job or anything like that. I can work without that millstone hanging around my neck. I can actually enjoy my work. It can't be overstated how important that is.

Final Notes

I've been seeing Singapore Parliamentary debates about how ineffectual the WSQ framework is with regard to improving employment. People have been complaining about not being able to get good jobs despite upskilling and upgrading. That's because it's not meant to work that way. The Good Jobs Genie isn't going to suddenly appear and let you have your pick of jobs just because you got a certification in whatever. Upgrading is not a silver bullet that will solve all your problems. It's just one step in a series of many steps, some meant to be taken concurrently.

You owe the world nothing, and in turn, it owes you nothing. Whatever you have is what you can get, and more importantly, what you can keep.



$ee you later!
T___T

No comments:

Post a Comment