Tuesday 7 May 2024

Glassdoor has just become entirely too transparent

When looking to join an organization or a company, prospective jobseekers are supposed to do their due dilligence. This might involve asking around, searching on the internet, or simply consulting the web portal known as Glassdoor.

What, you may ask, is Glassdoor? In brief, it's a site that provides information about companies such as geographical locations, job roles, general remuneration and history. But what people tend to go to Glassdoor for, are reviews. Testimonials by employees both current and former.


Recently, Glassdoor made waves when they announced that reviewers would now have to fill in actual names on their profiles, whereas in the past they could submit reviews anonymously. They assured users that those names would not appear on reviews. 

Previously, reviews could be posted anonymously because user names were not added to profiles and only a working email address was required to create one. However, new users now need to provide real names in addition to email addresses, and existing users need to verify their accounts with real names.

Reactions from users

Users who had been providing anonymous reviews on customers, now found themselves in a position where their identities could be exposed. Now they were potentially open to retaliation if any of the companies found their reviews objectionable.

Glassdoor has reiterated its commitment to privacy, stating that names will not be exposed except with the express permission of the user. However, from the user's point of view, the best way to not have their identities exposed, is not to have those identities on file in the first place.

No longer anonymous!

After all, databases can be breached. Companies can be legally forced to provide information, regardless of any promises made to users. The only way for Glassdoor to guarantee that it will not divulge those names, would be for Glassdoor to not have the ability to divulge those names.

Companies that have suffered from anonymous scathing reviews of their employment practices, are presumably glad to no longer be vulnerable to anonymous criticism, either deserving or otherwise.

While it's true that the ability to review companies anonymously enables frank and candid critique, it's also sadly true that such anonymity can be abused to perpetuate vendettas. Thus, having that anonymity taken away, forcing reviewers to be accountable, can only be a good thing from a company's point of view. No more anonymous attacks by faceless cowards, dammit!

What I would do

Both employees and employers are barking up the wrong tree with this anonymity thing.

Obviously, I would never use Glassdoor reviews as a gauge as to whether or not I should join a company, the same way I would never read a movie review for the purpose of whether or not I should watch that movie. People vary wildly; a movie reviewer has different expectations about movies from myself. Similarly, other people reviewing these companies may view certain things very differently from myself.

For example, I once criticized my CTO for including profanities in the code base, which I found both juvenile and unprofessional. However, other techs I spoke to, told me they found it perfectly OK. Obviously, their thresholds of maturity and professionalism were significantly higher than mine.

Therefore, having a ton of glowing reviews on Glassdoor doesn't impress me. Conversely, neither do negative reviews. As far as I'm concerned, reading reviews on Glassdoor is a huge waste of time surpassed only by arguing with people on Social Media.

Cracking that glass door.

Also, if I wanted to get back at a company for treating me poorly, I wouldn't go to Glassdoor and write nasty anonymous reviews. If you want to retaliate using a platform like Glassdoor, writing nasty anonymous reviews is both unimaginative and in poor taste. It's been done to death.

I would go the other way. I would write overwhelmingly positive reviews, reviews so complimentary that they border on satire. I would highlight all the negative traits, and couch it in the most kiss-ass terms ever.

"This CTO drops F-bombs in his code base! He's not afraid of insulting his co-workers! That's so real! So ballsy!"

"The pay's a little low, but adversity builds character! The company treats you like family; what's a little more money compared to that?!"

"Even though I'm a software developer, this company continuously challenges me by asking me to fix faulty microwaves and screw in lightbulbs!"

No company can then accuse me of writing nasty reviews... and on the off-chance that any jobseekers actually use Glassdoor to help them make their decisions, this is going to make the company look like one of those losers that need to tell their interns to get onto Glassdoor and write positive reviews about them.

What if those users are dumb enough to be influenced by my fake overwhelmingly positive reviews? Oh, well. Some people need to learn the hard way, amirite? Also, just because I think a company is a shitshow doesn't mean I don't want anyone to join them. Au contraire, some companies exist for the express purpose of helping people experience how they don't want to be treated. Also, people who are this stupid should absolutely join companies that are this shitty. Consider it a public service.

That's just hypothetical, of course. If a company and I have parted ways, they no longer warrant that level of attention from myself, much less that amount of effort. Just saying; if you absolutely had to be petty, unbelievably positive reviews are the way to go.

Conclusion

Remember, Glassdoor is a business. Glassdoor needs to make money. If you're not paying Glassdoor, then Glassdoor needs to make money some other way. Your data is monetizable. Do the Math.

I wouldn't make a big deal of what Glassdoor have done. Glassdoor should never be that influential in your decision-making. Heck, just delete your Glassdoor profile. What are you losing, really?

Kiss my glass,
T___T

No comments:

Post a Comment