Tuesday, 28 July 2026

A Software Developer's Vacation In Singapore: Coast-to-Coast Trail Edition (Part 3/4)

The next time I tried this stretch again, it was with an eye to getting all the way to Rower's Bay Park, which was Checkpoint Ten.

Because I enjoyed the ride from Checkpoint Six to Seven so much, I decided to do it all over again, taking a bus to And Mo Kio Linear Park and renting the Anywheel bike from there. Once I hit Sengkang Swimming Complex, the exploration started in earnest.

What followed was something that felt like a masterclass in urban planning to a layperson like me. The paths were beautifully flat. This was made for cyclists, and it showed. I cycled right through Sengkang Riverside Park, absorbing plenty of sights on the way. Honestly, I never thought any place outside of the usual tourist attractions could be so damn pretty.

This part was actually the
least extravagantly pretty.

I crossed this charming little bridge over Punggol Waterway, and the view was... let's just say my photos don't do it justice. They call it Jewel Bridge.

View from the bridge.

This route took me right by Waterway Point and Punggol Sports Center. At this point, I think my gushing over how picturesque everything is, is just getting repetitive. But at this point, I encountered Checkpoint Nine.

So pretty.

Even prettier.

Checkpoint Eight.

This route eventually led to this aquaduct called the Waterworks, by Waterway Ridges Rain Garden. This was quite a pretty neighborhood. Looked expensive, too.

Fancy-looking canal.

Turning in, I could see Coney Island as I cycled along Punggol Promenade Nature Walk.

Coney Island across the water.

And this was the entry to Coney Island, Checkpoint Nine. I actually went in to take a little tour, but didn't go that far.

Checkpoint Nine.

Now, at this point I had to make a decision. The actual path to Checkpoint Ten was from Checkpoint Seven. Yes, Checkpoint Seven was a fork in the Trail where the branch I took led to Checkpoints Eight and Nine, while the other branch led to Checkpoint Ten. Which meant that if I wanted to do things the "official" way, I needed to ride back to Checkpoint Seven and then proceed to Checkpoint Ten.

Nah. Fork that noise.

I pushed on to Punggol Beach and continued riding west along Northshore. Eventually, I emerged into Seletar Link North, onto the manmade island known as Punggol Timor. This was a markedly different vibe - mostly industrial. Much of the traffic was heavy trucks and pickups.

A lot of sand.

The first landmark I passed was this entire section of sand mountains. If I had to hazard a guess, this would be where they keep the sand they used to reclaim this island.

This was... nice!

Much of the scenery ahead was green wilderness. But I did come across this little channel, and simply had to stop to take a picture. With the wind and all, it was pretty surreal. This was the channel that separated Punggol Timor, which I was currently on, and Punggol Barat, which I was riding through next.

The rest of the ride from that point on, was a slog. The path was narrow and I was going past some extensive construction work. On the other hand, the sheer simplicity of the path ahead, held its own appeal. It was as ghetto as the crap I had to slog through in Ang Mo Kio and Bishan, but at least it was a largely uninterrupted path.

Soon, I crossed another bridge and found myself back on the mainland. Across the road was the verdant entrance of Rower's Bay Park, Checkpoint Ten and the final stop on the Coast-to-Coast Trail.

Checkpoint Ten

I had tracked down all ten checkpoints; now all I had to do was familiarize myself with the route so I could do it in one attempt.

Thoughts on the last part

This was without a doubt the best part of the trail. It was like entering a code base where everything was current tech, pristine and not tacked on with legacy shit. All of the exciting new features, none of the scars. As a software developer and thus a bit of a builder myself (even if in a non-physical sense), I could not help but really appreciate the planning that went into this.


The route itself did not cover a wide area this time; this was largely a circular path I took. A very picturesque circular path, to be sure.

Next

Conquering the entire trail at one go.

No comments:

Post a Comment