And as I noted earlier, there were quite a few posts from His Teochewness that showed open contempt for... well, shit, whoever happened to be pissing me off at the time. And because some of these were from way back years ago and I'd had time to properly ruminate over why I got pissed off, the language is arguably a lot less intense but heaps more damaging than if I'd gone in red hot. Because, then, I wasn't wildly throwing haymakers; I was landing kidney shots and throat jabs.
High Performers
These were the ones that got the most attention. And honestly, I'm heartened that they weren't even the most controversial ones. They mostly centered around my home exploration of Singapore. Of course, my Black Mirror Film Reviews have always been disproportionately popular.![]() |
| Lots of attention. |
- A Software Developer's Vacation in... Singapore
- Film Review: Black Mirror Series Seven
- Film Review: Black Mirror Series Seven, Redux
- A Software Developer's Vacation In Singapore: Coast-to-Coast Trail Edition
The one sole standout was Finding Your Purpose Professionally, which involved me dunking on both older and younger workers alike, because they annoy me in equal measure, for different reasons.
Surprise standouts
These are next in line to be mentioned because they got a pretty big audience as well. Some of the attention was expected because I courted it with every F-bomb and verbal strike. (Making the contact tracing effort mandatory, redux and Hiring remote foreigners? Slow your roll, hotshot and The Case against Hunger, Enthusiasm and Other Useless Buzzwords).This one, Ten Reasons To Keep Treating Job Interviews As Target Practice, in particular, was inflammatory, but I also like to think it was helpful.
The same can't be said of Musk's Macrohard is as silly as it sounds. I didn't intend for it to be helpful. Elon Musk said something stupid (something staggeringly foolish that offended me as a programmer) and I called him out on it.
Then there were technical pieces like Five Image File Formats For The Web and More ways to declare colors in CSS! and I really couldn't tell you why they turned out as well as the foul-mouthed ones. And then there's Named Versus Positional Notation in Functions and Methods. One of the popular ones. I mean, it's such riveting stuff, right?
![]() |
| Good amounts of attention. |
Working has different goals from working out and JavaScript's non-existent relationship to Java and Bolt CEO's dangerous logic for axing his entire HR Team were more philosophical than rude. And yet... boom!
The Case of the Awkward Tech Interviewee was another war story which I didn't think was all that compelling, but I guess reality proved me wrong, there.
Duds
Obviously there were times I was disappointed with the turnout because I really felt my effort deserved more. This could have been down to any number of reasons, chief of which is that my writing just isn't as compelling as I gave it credit for.For example, Seriously, why try to cook Sam Altman? is a post I thought was great. It had one of my favorite targets in my crosshairs and in it I savaged both Altman and his would-be assassin. No bites. Or just fewer than I imagined I'd get.
![]() |
| Very little attention. |
Artificial Intelligence and Its Effect on Entry-level Hiring was another one I put a fair bit of heart into. Perhaps it needs more time to gestate, having just been released last month.
Five Funny Tech CEO Nicknames was another one I thought would be a sure hit. No such luck. It seems a guy can't even rely on making fun of CEOs any more, to get eyeballs.
Onward to Year 13!
This really wasn't a bad blogging year at all. If next year is anywhere as good, I'd consider myself blessed.I make all these critiques of my blogposts while understanding that I'm really nobody in the big picture and attention isn't something I'm entitled to, even if by some miracle I could handle it.
XII-ding expectations,
T___T
T___T



No comments:
Post a Comment