Monday 2 May 2022

Elon Musk and the Twitter Takeover

The news of eccentric technopreneur Elon Musk buying Twitter has been raging through the Internet all through the past couple weeks. In the interest of transparency, I will just come right out and say it: I have no dog in the fight.

After all, I have no product on to sell on Social Media, nor do I have any kind of Social Justice agenda to serve. Exactly zero of my income sources depend on goodwill from Social Media. I'm not a celebrity, nor am I one of those self-important assholes earnest souls who Tweet like someone who matters actually cares about their opinion.

Hell, I don't even have a Twitter account. And I have no plans to ever get one.


Buying Twitter.


That said, it would be remiss of me not to at least take some interest in this little bit of news. Twitter has been, after all, the largest battleground upon which the everlasting culture wars are being fought on the internet. And Elon Musk is one of the most recognizable names in tech.

What are the implications?

Elon Musk has declared his intention to improve Twitter's freedom of speech. Which means that the days of Twitter playing favorites and exercising double standards where their policies are concerned, are over. Musk wants to shake things up. So yeah, this sounds like a good thing.

Loose cannon on Twitter.

At least, if you believe in the strength of Elon Musk's character. Personally, from what I've seen of him over the years, I'm not convinced that there's anything more to that loose-cannon and astoundingly petty, albeit brilliant, egomaniac persona. Depending on him to play judge, jury and executioner is a prospect so unappealing that my decision to not have a Twitter account is unlikely to be changed.

Should he spend that kind of money?

Much has been said about how Musk should be spending 6 billion to solve world hunger, as he pledged back in 2021, instead of splashing out seven times that on what looks like an overblown vanity project.

Solving world hunger.

Oh, I dunno, really? Remember, it's his money. While I'm not a big fan of Elon Musk, I am a big fan of being able to do whatever I damn well please with my own money.

Also, kids, I want to point out something really obvious. Unless you're in a position to actually spend 6 billion of your own money, talk is cheap. So do everyone a favor and stop triggering gag reflexes with that moral posturing. Nobody's impressed.

Go forth and Tweet...

Who gives a shit, really? Twitter has been due for change for the longest time. Maybe this is just the thing needed.

Holy Tweet!
T___T

No comments:

Post a Comment