Monday 14 October 2024

Teochew Thunder: Year Ten (Part 2/2)

The readership for this blog has never been astronomical. This year was no exception, though there were some bright spots in between.

Running that race.

To be fair, I have not been putting in all that much effort, having been very much distracted by offline activity. Still, I'm proud to say that it's a race I completed, if not exceled at, at least in comparison with previous years.

The Hits

Black Mirror film reviews did well predictably (as well as anything mentioning Artificial Intelligence) such as my review of Black Mirror Series Four. It never fails to bemuse me just how well readers seem to take to my Black Mirror reviews, especially since I don't think I'm that good a film reviewer.

Smoking' hot!

Artificial Intelligence seems to be a topic of great debate these days, and for good reason. Still, when I wrote How worried should software developers be about Devin AI?, I could not have predicted that people would take this much interest. After all, just about every software developer in the world had a take on it.

Singapore's Smoking Samsui Woman Controversy Through a Web Developer's Eyes was a particularly passionate rant of my own, and a pleasant surprise it gained as much traction as it did, since I only wrote about it a full month after it had become old news.

Decent Performers

This section is for the posts that garnered a fair amount of attention, at least where the average for this blog is concerned. It's for the ones that weren't hot topics - or perhaps they were, and I didn't handle the subject all that well. Still, they deserve something of a runner's up medal.

Not too bad.

Most web tutorials fall under this category this year. They weren't big hits, but a decent number of people viewed them, especially the multi-part ones. Does this mean I should make more of those?

Ode to my Lenovo, That strange feeling that comes with achieving that prize and A Software Developer's Vacation in Penang were personal accounts that dealt more with my life at large.

Five Phases of Programming I Went Through and Whose Fault Is It, Really? were more about my professional life, and some observations I had made over time.

D3 and HighCharts: Pros, Cons and Comparisons was a look at two similar JavaScript libraries. A bit on the dry, geeky side.

The Shits

This section is dedicated to the underperformers. Some of these had an OK amount of views but I expected so much more.

Not hot at all.

My ropework analogies rarely do that well, so I can't really say I'm surprised that The Slip Knot Analogy didn't get much views.

App Review: Duolingo might need more time. But as of now, its viewership is plodding along.

When an absence of value doesn't equate to a NULL was a disappointment. I really thought that a technical post, dry as it might be, would be a welcome entry in a tech blog.

So were Some use cases for JavaScript's Spread Syntax and Branching With Switch Statements for the same reasons outlined above.

The Tree of Newspaper and Toilet Roll Tubes: A TeochewThunder Project was me being vulnerable and all that shit. But oh well, it just didn't get that much traction.

Five Hilariously Unfortunate Names In Tech could have been so much more, but I suppose an international audience can't really appreciate the language-specific humor. Amusingly enough, the name Erlang Shen might have achieved mainstream status after the launch of the game Black Myth: Wukong.

Here's to Ten Years of Blogging!

It's been a decade of blogging. And I'm not done; not by a long shot.

Still trudging along.

There's more content coming up after this blogging break. More tech I'm exploring. More tech trends I'm following up on. More of everything.

And I'm loving every minute. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it.

Till Year Eleven,
T___T

No comments:

Post a Comment